Saturday, January 4, 2014

January 4th: Some Milestones and Some Gym Tips

I hit a couple of milestones today on the belt, and I'm feeling really good -- physically and mentally.

As I mentioned yesterday, today was my first long run in my formal marathon training program. I went 9.5 miles at just under a 10:00 pace. That took me over 200 miles since I started the blog, and it also marks the first week in which I've done more than a marathon distance within 7 days -- 26.8 miles, to be exact. Of course, there was an extra run in there this week -- most weeks, I'm planning for four runs, one cross day and two rest days. Nonetheless, it's a mental obstacle that I've broken -- I can no longer lament, "I've never even done that many miles in a week!"

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that 2013 was basically the year I decided to get myself into shape. I've achieved most of the goals I set out for myself -- and a few I couldn't have even conceived a year ago -- but not without a lot of bumps in the road.

As we start 2014, I see a lot of new faces at the gym, especially today, since it's Saturday. We all know that getting in shape is one of people's top New Year's resolutions. But we also know that a lot of people are going to give up on their goals before they really even get started, and that's a shame -- because if I can get to where I am now, I believe anyone can get into the shape they want. So I wanted to share some tips that I've learned from my experiences. I am by no means an expert at any of this. But maybe these tips will help someone, somewhere:

You can't just start where you left off years ago: One mistake I made years ago in an aborted attempt to get into shape is assuming I could just go. When I was in high school, I did a cross-country mile in under 6:00. So I laced up my beat-up sneakers and took off. Two blocks later, I was completely winded. And I gave up, assuming that fitness was just outside of my reality. Today at the gym, a gentleman got on the treadmill next to me. He looked to be in decent shape, but in retrospect, his workout gear had that brand-new look. He started out at 5.8, which is a decent pace if you haven't been running in a while -- it's under a 10:30 mile. Then he really cranked it up. My first instinct was that maybe he was actually in excellent shape. But after maybe a minute at 8.4 miles per hour, he jumped off. He slowed to 6.9 -- another minute or so, and he jumped off again. Then down to 6.1. I think he lasted 5 minutes at that, and then he gave up. In March 2013, when I first started run/walking, I realized I had no fitness. The first couple of times on the belt entailed a lot more walking than running. But it didn't take long before I could go 20 minutes without a walking interval, and by the end of May, I could do a 5k without walking. So don't dive in at the deep end. You'll get there soon enough.

If you have no clue, spring for a trainer: You see those people at the gym a lot this time of year: Walking around sort of eyeballing the machines, then giving one a shot -- one set -- and walking away. I was one of those people. You don't need to hire someone to be by your side at every workout from now until the end of time. But it's worth $100 or $150 to get a few sessions with a pro, so you can learn some moves and some routines that will help you meet your goals. Pay close attention and ask questions, even if you think you know the answer. A trainer will be able to tell you how many reps, how many sets, and what weight you should be going for. He or she will also help you understand how your body should be feeling during and after those exercises. And, perhaps most importantly, you'll learn proper form.

There's tons of information online: There are tons of resources out there. I've learned a bunch just by reading various websites. For example, very early on I learned that getting six-pack abs (which I don't have) has a lot more to do with diet than exercise. You can crunch till you're ready to pass out, but if you don't shed enough fat, your abs will never see the light of day. I've actually found that Pinterest is a great place to find information from other people who are trying to get to the same place I am. You have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff, but there's no shortage of material. And once you've narrowed down your goals and interests, you can focus on the stuff that's relevant to you. For me, that means Runner's World and similar sources. You'll find your niche, too.

Talk about it: Another great source of information and inspiration: friends and family. You'll be shocked at how many people have experiences similar to yours -- both good and bad. So talk about it on Facebook or Twitter, or even when you're out socially. Don't become a one-trick pony -- if that's all you talk about, your friends will get tired of it quickly. But don't be afraid to post, "Ran 2 miles today." Or even to ask a question. The best part is, you already know that these are people who want to help.

You have to do strength training: You can try to achieve your fitness goals with just cardio, but it will take you a lot longer, and you'll work a lot harder to get there. Even at rest, muscle burns more calories than fat does. This was one I got right when I started in April: I told my trainer flat-out, "Cardio I've got. I need help with strength." But I know a lot of people don't want to lift, or do crunches, or work the kettlebell. To that, I say buck up. You can do it! I promise! Not only was I fat, I was weak. I'm no Tony Atlas now, but I have actual muscles, and I feel so much better. And assuming you take this bit of advice, here's the protip: No matter what else you're working on, do some core work every time. If you're a regular reader, you know how much I focus on that. Arms, chest and legs are great, but you'll be a stronger person if you work your core regularly.

It's supposed to be hard: A woman I saw at the gym today got on the treadmill, walked for maybe 10 minutes, and then got off. Now, she didn't seem to be in very good shape, but we all have to start somewhere, right? And I don't think that, even at her fitness level, she was really challenging herself. If you don't push it at least a little bit, you're not going to see much progress. And then a month will pass by, and you'll get on the scale and the number won't have changed much. That's where a lot of people throw in the towel. The important part to remember is that hard for the guy on the treadmill next to you isn't the same as hard for you. You're trying to reach your goals, and you need to do the work that's right for you.

Setbacks are not failures: If there's one piece of advice I've learned harder than anything else over the past year -- especially over the past four months or so -- it's that you can't let a setback derail your entire program. I've had to sit out a few weeks for a sprained ankle, the strained MTSNBN, a wicked cold and some professional-grade acid reflux. And it sucks. But those first two came before I did my half marathon, and I did that in 2:00:40! They were setbacks, not permanent obstacles. The worst part -- which nobody tells you -- is that your body doesn't realize that you're taking a break, and so it's looking to metabolize food the way it has been. In other words, even though you're not exercising, you get hungry as if you were. But just remember that whatever it is -- an injury, a personal or family issue that demands all your attention, or just a short-term lack of motivation -- you'll get past it. It won't last forever, and you won't have to start back at square one.

Bring a towel: Single easiest way to discern the noobs at the gym: no towel. You're going to sweat. You will need to wipe it away. I actually find a facecloth to be the perfect size, but any hand towel will do.

If you've gotten this far without getting bored, wow! Maybe I've helped you in some little way. Please feel free to add to my list -- as I said, I'm nowhere near being an expert.

Tomorrow is cross-training day -- core and arms. For the time being, I'm going to assume the running will take care of the legs. Then an off day on Monday.

Total miles since starting the blog: 206.7!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment