Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 19th: Something Red, Something New

Today was strength-training day at Work Out World.

It was a really solid workout. I focused on core work and arms. Part of the reason I think it was so successful was that I was pretty well rested, since I haven't been doing a ton of strength training. Part of it was not hitting things too hard. And a big part of it was being in comfortable environs. I know the machines, I can do my kettlebell stuff, and even the Cable Cross machine was good to me. (Oh -- and I'm allowed to grunt.) I am hoping that I'll be able to throw in 10 minutes of core stuff a few times a week at Planet Fitness, but I definitely want to get to WOW when I can.

But what I didn't get to do yet is try out my new running shoes! I've been in the same shoes since I started working out a little less than a year ago, and they weren't brand new then. They probably have about 400 miles on them. So yesterday afternoon, I headed to Road Runner Sports in Shrewsbury and had them do the whole analysis thing. They have you stand on a mat to check your arches, they put you on a treadmill to evaluate your stride, and they even have these cushion things that help them figure out how balanced you are.

I wound up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13s -- which offers stability but doesn't go over the top. I got a good price on them, so I also threw in a 3-pack of moisture-wicking socks, which I plan to use on my long runs.

The crazy part is that I'll need another pair of shoes before I actually run the marathon.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Judging by the forecast, I'll be indoors for the week. Maybe if it's a bit milder than they're expecting next weekend, I'll sneak in my long outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment