Thursday, January 16, 2014

January 16th: The New MapMyRun App Sucks

Apologies in advance: This one's basically going to be a rant.

The temp was 38, and it wasn't raining or foggy, so I grabbed an opportunity to do an outdoor run this morning -- both for my sake and to get the dog some exercise. And for the second straight time, MapMyRun did me a dirty.

On Sunday, the workout didn't get going when I started running. I have it set for a five-second delay, presumably so I can shove the phone back in my armband. But the problem is, if you click the lock button on top, the app hibernates instead of starting.

Then today, I was paying attention to that -- in the cold, in the dark, with the dog. The home screen now shows a map with a blinking dot for your GPS location. So I hit Start Workout, waited the five seconds, and tucked the phone into my armband. After what I knew was a mile, it hadn't called out the split, so I looked at it. It was set for Treadmill Run. WTF?!?!

On the old app, you couldn't hit Start Workout unless you had it set to Run or Bike. And again, factoring in the other variables, why would they expect me to notice the small-font Workout Type? I used the old app, without issue, for eight months. This one has screwed me up at least three times so far. I hate it. I absolutely hate it.

OK, so my run. Seeing as I didn't know my splits, I didn't have a sense of my pace. Turns out, it was really, really, really, really slow. Granted, I stopped for photos twice, and there were a couple of quick dog-pee stops, plus add in 10 seconds trying to shove the phone into my armband at the start and pulling it out to stop the timer at the end. But I mapped out the route afterward: 3.81 miles in 38:24 -- over a 10:00 pace. I wasn't worried about speed today, but I definitely would have picked it up a little bit had I realized just how slow I was going.

As I mentioned, it was pretty much dark when I got going. I took three pics, but the two I got in the real
dark just didn't come out. I was trying to get a shot of lower Manhattan, where my new office is and where I have to take the PATH to get to. But 15 minutes or so later, I got a decent shot of the Verrazano's lights.

So tomorrow's a rest day, which is a little disappointing for me -- I was feeling strong after my super-slow run. Looks like my long is going to have to be on the belt on Saturday. Maybe if it's a snow flurry instead of a rain shower, I'll chance it outside, but I doubt it.

Miles since starting the blog: 245.5

No comments:

Post a Comment