Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28th: HIHW



It was too cold to run outside this morning, and after my daughter missed her school bus, it was definitely too late to get to the gym. (Andrew, that Planet Fitness is really calling your name.) What to do? A little high-intensity home workout.

Now I don’t own a weight bench or anything like that, so there is some improvisation required. But it’s also a
good opportunity to work on core muscles, since a lot of that is either without weights or using your body weight for resistance. So I rolled out Jackie's yoga mat and got at it in the dining room. I did two circuits, three exercises each, three sets of each exercise:

  • Circuit One: Bicycle crunches, lying leg lifts, body-weight seated press. (Sit at the edge of a chair or bench, extend your legs out, put your palms flat on the edge of the chair and lower and raise your body. Your upper legs should be horizontal when you get back up.) 12 reps each, three sets.
  • Circuit Two: Kettlebell squats, kettlebell jugglers and lunges (12 each leg). Wait! What did I use for a kettlebell? My work bag. The handle is about the right size, and with my usual crap in there, it’s probably about 10 pounds.

I finished off with a couple minutes of jumping jacks, just to keep the heart rate going. My upper legs and back are pretty sore -- and I got this done in about 25 minutes. Honestly, I was beat. Part of that is probably that I haven’t been hitting it too hard since the race. But part of it was just the tempo I was going at. This is a great way to go if you’re pressed for time and want to get a little something done.

I do have a few other things I can throw in there: planks, side planks (a good way to learn them without looking dumb at the gym), burpees (if there’s enough vertical clearance), mountain climbers, push-ups… But at some point, I’m going to have to get back on the road or see if I can get that old treadmill going at a reasonable pace. I’m willing to run in shorts and long sleeves at 45 degrees, but not 35. Or I’m just going to have to get to the gym earlier. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment