Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 1st: Elliptical and Nutrition

Got back to the gym this morning as planned and followed through on what I wrote yesterday -- 10 minutes of quick core stuff and then 30 on the elliptical, on interval training. The MTSNBN felt 100 percent. I think tomorrow's a rest day, but then Thursday might be a short run to get back out there.

Today I want to talk about nutrition. I've basically hit a weight-loss plateau (which I'm fine with, because I'm under two bucks in my skivvies), so I've been giving an increasing amount of thought not simply to calorie intake but to what kind of calories I'm eating.

I eat a serving of Greek yogurt every morning. I mix in fruit, and just this week, I've also started adding a
tablespoon of chia seeds. I've been reading a lot about chia seeds, and in addition to helping you grow great-looking green pets, they're highly nutritious. One tablespoon has about 45 calories and 4.5 grams of fat, but also 5 grams of fiber and about 3 grams of protein, along with omega-3 fatty acids.  I'm much more interested in the benefits of the chia than I am in the purported weight-loss assistance.

But one thing I learned the hard way this week is that all Greek yogurt is not the same. We didn't have enough bulk needs to merit a trip to Costco this week, so I wound up grabbing my yogurt at Shop-Rite. Cabot brand Greek yogurt has 310 calories in 8 ounces! That's 170 more than is in Costco's Kirkland brand. Yeah, it's a bit smoother and creamier, but seriously? I will be at Costco bright and early on Sunday so I can buy Greek yogurt.

Lastly, I'm sort of torn on whether to, and what to, eat after a workout. Most days, I'm crunched for time, so I've been grabbing a Clif bar for the protein. But that's adding another 230 calories, and it doesn't seem to have any impact on my overall hunger throughout the day. I want to keep getting protein -- especially after strength training -- but I'm wondering if it's worth adding another 1000 or so calories to my weekly intake. Will my body really convert that protein to more muscle, or am I just raising the bar on what I need to burn to maintain my current fitness level? Or should I be looking for a lower-calorie option?

I'd love to hear what other people do for nutrition -- especially if you're on the run like I am most mornings. And I'd love to hear if anyone else has any experience with chia seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment