Friday, October 25, 2013

October 25th: Gatorade Before Beer

Quick entry today. Finally got back to the gym -- first workout since the half-marathon. It's kind of no fun heading out in the morning in those last days before we set the clocks back. It's cold and it's dark. There's WOW, and there's the moon.

Just did some basic strength training today. The new wrinkle I threw in was dumbbell presses. I went with a pretty low weight that I knew I could do. It's totally different than the bench-press machine -- you really have to pay attention to keeping things stable!

Most of the rest of my routine focused on core exercises. I'm a big believer in that. No matter how big your arms or your chest, no matter how strong your legs, if you don't have a strong core, you're not going to reach your fitness goals. Specifically, I did lunges, lying knee raises and twists on the Cable Cross machine. I also mixed in some arm stuff on the Cable Cross. Next gym visit will include horizontal leg lifts, bicycle crunches, maybe planks.

Honestly, it wasn't that great of a workout. But it's important to start getting back into my routine -- especially with a Rutgers football tailgate coming up tomorrow and overnight company tonight. I'm hoping to get a short-ish run in on Sunday, so I'll need to keep cognizant of my new-look Beer or Gatorade attitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment