Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 17th: Change of Plans

Change of plans for today and the next few days: a little rest and rehab.

In a couple entries, I’ve mentioned that I’ve had some intermittent calf pain. It’s worse on running days and feels significantly better after a night’s rest. It’s not debilitating, and generally speaking, the impact of foot strikes is to blame. Yesterday, it hurt pretty good in the afternoon. Now I’m a pretty stubborn guy, but I woke up this morning and decided that it’s a much better idea to try to get this under control now, seven months out, than in the thick of hard-core training in February.

A little Internet research has essentially confirmed what I suspected: I just need to give the thing a little break.

So rather than go out for my planned run today, I headed down to the gym and got on the elliptical. I did a full hour on the random resistance setting at a pretty good clip. I have no idea about mileage, because the thing said I’d gone 15 miles, which seems rather unlikely. But I was huffing and puffing at the end, so I’m going to say it was the cardio equivalent of an hour-long run. I will say this: The resistance goes from 1 to 20, and a couple of intervals in the program are at 18, which is freaking hard!

I’ll keep the impact on the leg to a minimum the next few days and see where things stand. If I can’t get my long in this weekend, it’ll be a hard-core Sunday morning at the gym. Tomorrow I think will be strength training only, focusing on my core.

No comments:

Post a Comment