Sunday, September 8, 2013

Saturday, September 7th: Long run to Dave's house

Since there was a Rutgers football game on Saturday and Jackie and I were planning to head to the beach on Sunday, I figured my best chance for a long this week was to incorporate it into my Saturday plans. I ran my normal Cliffwood Beach 5K route, then headed west to my friend Dave's house -- which GoogleMaps said was another five miles.

A lot of that run was straight and dull on Cliffwood Avenue. But at about the six-mile mark, I made a left onto Disbrow, which crosses NJ 34 and then turns into a scenic country road. But...in the last mile, there's a HUGE hill. I knew about it, I was planning for it, and frankly, I was dreading it. I turned the corner and got my first view, and wow, it really is big. But you know what you do? You just keep on pushing. And let me tell you, once I got to the top, it was great. I nice easy downhill to 516, and then a quick jaunt into Dave's neighborhood.

I did an extra block out and back to be sure I hit my eight miles, and as I was nearing the end, I found myself regretting that I hadn't built in some more distance. I had plenty in the tank. I think next weekend, I'll push for double digits.

A quick shower at Dave's, then changed in Rutgers gear and headed up to Piscataway for a fun day of tailgating with something resembling a football game thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment