Friday, September 6, 2013

A Quick Introduction

I'm going to run the New Jersey Marathon on April 27th, 2014, and I've decided that blogging about my training will keep me motivated (by keeping me accountable). I'll pretty this thing up when I have some time, but for now, here's my short story:

Over the 2012 holidays, I came to realize that I was fat. Really fat. Gross fat. I wasn't taking care of myself, and I was taking my wife for granted. I deserved better and she deserved better. It took me until the middle of February 2013 to get my butt in gear. I started by trying to fix my diet. A month later, a friend gave me an old treadmill -- and boy, was that a revelation. I couldn't run more than a couple minutes without dying.

As the weather got warmer, I began to get out there and run. I also joined a gym. I ran my first 5k in June (though I'd done a few by myself). And then this summer, an odd thing happened: I started running farther. I got myself to five miles a couple times, and I began to feel pretty good about myself.

About a month ago, my brother-in-law was in town, so he and my other brother-in-law got together for drinks. And -- perhaps under the influence -- the three of us committed to the marathon. So now it's time to get serious. I've gone as far as 9.3 miles in less than an hour and a half.

Tomorrow I have an eight-miler planned, on a route I've never taken before. I'll let everyone (anyone?) know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment