Thursday, September 12, 2013

September 12th: Failure

I’d characterize today’s run as a failure. I’d set out for a 6-mile pace run, but I managed just 4.5 before I was fried. Here’s what I learned:
  • I still am no good in the humidity. Conditions are a huge variable for me. Saturday I went 8.15 and wanted more. Tuesday I did 4.68 at a faster pace with the dog in tow, and I had more in the tank.
  • My lack of experience is going to be a problem for a while still. Even with MapMyRun calling out my mile splits, I’m lousy at judging my pace. After a 9:30 first mile, I was under 9:00s the rest of the way. That’s faster than my intended pace, and certainly faster than I should have been going in today’s conditions.
  • All in all, I still have a long way to go before I can feel confident in what I’m doing. Yeah, I’ve gone close to 10 miles once, but that’s a far cry from 26.2 or even 13.1. It’s probably good that I get knocked down a peg.
On the bright side, my calf held up well, and tomorrow’s conditions are supposed to be significantly better. I’m still hoping to get a good long run in.

Today’s pic is from the Keyport waterfront. Normally you’d see the Verrazano in the background.

Total mileage since starting this blog: 17.35 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment