Friday, September 13, 2013

September 13th: What a Difference a Day Makes

After yesterday's failure, I couldn't be feeling better about my run today. 10 miles at a 9:27 pace.

I knew I was going for distance today, but I hadn't really planned my route. I have a few general courses I can run and combine, so I wasn't too worried. But after yesterday, I figured my best bet was not to get too far from home, in case I ran out of gas.

So I added some distance onto my 5K route. I started down the block, rather than at my house, and I ran out on the waterfront walkway (the one that's technically still closed). I haven't really said much about this spot yet, but the walkway runs roughly where the old Cliffwood Beach boardwalk was. It boasted all the attractions you'd expect, most notably an enormous salt-water pool. If you go looking for it, you can still find remnants of the pool, all overgrown and collapsed. But if you look into the water from the walkway, you can see a few pilings from the old boardwalk.

Once I'd done that out and back, I resumed the 5K route, then made a right to head toward the beach and over the creek into Old Bridge. Captain Kidd's treasure is allegedly buried somewhere in or near that creek. A loop in Pirate's Cove Park, then another long block, and back toward home.

I got back to my house a little after seven miles. I'd planned this so that I could grab a quick drink, because I don't carry a water bottle. (More on that later.) Then back to the course. Back out toward the water one more time, another out and back on the walkway, and I'd done nine miles. I was definitely running out of gas at this point. So up the big hill, and then I basically just pushed myself to get to 10. I was still almost a mile from home when I stopped, but I needed the cooldown, anyway.

A few things:

  • I sweat a lot. I lost way too much fluid. Stopping off for a quick drink was a good start, but I'm going to have to start wearing a belt or something. I'd estimate I lost at least three pounds of fluid.
  • I forgot my facecloth. It really would have been nice to wipe the sweat from the tip of my nose.
  • Miles 9 and 10 were really tough. My legs probably started feeling it around the 7-mile mark, but my wind started to fail me in those last two. My last mile was pretty slow.
  • I've still been thinking about training programs. I think what I really want to do is build as much endurance as I can, and then use Galloway's run-walk method when I need it -- maybe not until the race itself. I've also realized that with seven months to go, I have a lot of flexibility in my training. 10 miles is well ahead of the novice starting point, and I'm sure that will be higher when I get to about 20 weeks out.
  • I'll see how much speedwork I'm able to do, but I may need to be a bit less ambitious on time. 9:30s are comfortable for me. 9:10s are pushing it. 
  • I'm really starting to understand the benefit of having a strong core. When you run upright, you use more of your glutes, which are bigger and more powerful than your hammys and calves. You can definitely feel the difference.
Tomorrow's an off day for Rutgers Football. I'm thinking gym on Sunday, then tempo or interval on Monday.

Total miles since starting this blog: 27.3

No comments:

Post a Comment