Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 25th: I Should Pick Things Up and Put Them Down



Today was interval day. I went a little shorter than last time -- just 4 miles. But I went really hard -- intervals were at 8.0 and 8.1, and a lot of them were 2:00 on, 1:30 slowdown. Did it in 34:15, an 8:33 overall pace. That's 18 seconds faster per mile than last week's intervals.

I came across an interesting article about strength training yesterday. Some of it is expected -- do a lot of core work and strengthen your hips. But it also reinforces something I’ve come to believe and would like to incorporate more, particularly after the race in April: Runners should do hardcore weight training, just like everyone else. High weight and low reps.

My biggest problem right now is finding the time. As it is, I have to shoehorn in the running I’m able to do, and I’m still working on teaching my body how to hold up over long distances. But I’m thinking that, since I have the half on Sunday and no strength/cross day built into my schedule, I’ll eschew my Thursday run in favor of some strength work at WOW.

One thing I won't be doing before Sunday: running outside. My time to run is right around when we hit the overnight lows.

Tomorrow is my kinda long, and we’ll see about Thursday. That will be it until Sunday. Still haven’t decided whether to chase sub-2:00 for the half.

Total miles since starting the blog: 367.2

No comments:

Post a Comment