Sunday, April 6, 2014

April 6th: Not the Way I Wanted to Go Into the Taper

I'll save you the suspense: I bonked at 19 miles today.

I ran pretty much the entirety of the Henry Hudson Trail in both directions -- well, it would've been the whole thing back and forth had I made it back to the car. But I was just completely and utterly spent.

No pics today. Just wasn't feelin' it.
In hindsight, I made a lot of mistakes.
--Friday night, I stayed up way too late, and so I really wasn't well enough rested.
--My fueling on Saturday was just OK -- we went out for Italian (i.e. carbs), but I didn't really eat very well throughout the day.
--We weren't out super late, and I got to bed at a reasonable hour, but I did have two beers with dinner. Not usually a deal-breaker, but maybe it didn't help with hydration and probably not with my overall sleep quality.
--Speaking of hydration, the morning was cool, so I wore my sweatshirt. I shed it when I got back to the car around 11 miles in, but the small drink I took there -- the only one during the workout -- probably wasn't adequate for how much I had sweated out.
--I probably should've eaten something in the morning to top off the tank, rather than relying on the Chia Fresca.
--I did get to WOW yesterday. I had a good workout there, but you have to figure that took some miles off of what I could do today. That wasn't such a big deal when a long was 12 miles. But when you're trying to do 20+, that hour takes something out of you.
--And for reasons I can't explain, I started out way fast this morning. I averaged under 9:00 for the first 10 miles.

And of course, there's just the accumulated fatigue in general. Even with today's 19.1, the last three weeks have added up to 132 miles.

So in retrospect, all that adds up to a bad workout. I'd say by 12 miles I had an inkling that things weren't going as well as I'd hoped. By 14, I knew I was in trouble. By 16, I was on adrenaline and willpower, and I wasn't surprised when I had to shut it down at 19. I think on most bad runs, you know pretty early on that it's not your day.

The worst part -- I still had a mile and a half or so to walk to the car, completely exhausted.

Well, they say that you should make all your mistakes during training, not during the race. And I would be happy to chalk this up to a subpar experience that will help me during the marathon. But the thing is, I wish I had another long run so I could put the lessons I learned into action and see how I do with better prep and pace. Now I just have to hope that my overall fitness will get me there.

Last week, when I finished my 20, I thought that I could surely do the last 6 if the race were that day. Today, I don't think I could've gone another 100 yards before I literally fell over. So I feel like I can make it, and I'll be OK come race day, but I don't have quite the confidence I was hoping for. Sure, I know with good rest and proper pacing, I have the capability. And frankly, given all the negatives, that I got to 19 is probably a good sign. Again, I just wish I had one more chance to find out before race day.

Now we start the taper. Higdon calls for 5 on Tuesday, a pace 4 on Wednesday and 5 on Thursday -- then 12 next weekend. 26 miles in a week? I can go for that.

Total miles since starting the blog: 569.2

No comments:

Post a Comment