Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April 1st: Foolin' Around

Minor miracle: an outdoor run.

Today I just wanted to get some miles in to test out my foot after the pain I felt during my long on Saturday. At the suggestion of my friend Dave, I tried an alternative lacing pattern to give my foot a little more breathing room. Unfortunately, the anxiety over the foot has my sciatica acting up a bit. So even though the acute problem stayed in check, I kind of have some all-over soreness in the foot. I assume that will work itself out, though.

I figured that since I wasn't planning any huge distances, I could take the dog along. I think that's going to be the last time I do that until the race, or at least the taper. She just pulls on the leash too much, and I really wind up expending a lot of unnecessary energy. Oh, and poop stops are really annoying unless it's garbage day and everyone's can is at the curb.

The other problem: I somehow managed to shut off my phone at the 2-mile mark. I kept waiting for MMR to call out the 3-mile split, and then I realized it was dead. I thought it was the battery, but when I plugged it in when I got home, it had 30 percent charge. Argh. Fortunately, I remembered exactly where I was at 2 miles, so I was able to recreate my route -- I just had to guess at the pace.

I think I shut the phone off when I unsuccessfully tried to get a sunrise shot over the water. Next time, I'll be ready. But no good pics today. Anyway, by mapping out my route, I figured out that I did about 5.4 miles. That's good for the start of the week. 

My big decision will be whether to try to add in a fifth run this week (like the last 2) and go long on Sunday. One day will need to be speedwork, and one will be the kinda long, so should I do junk on Friday or just accept that I'm on target and start dialing back?  As I write that, the wisdom of injury avoidance is really striking me.

Total miles since starting the blog: 536.3

No comments:

Post a Comment