Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23rd: Weather

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. Friday and Sunday were off days. Saturday's and today's runs were greatly affected by the weather.

First, Saturday. A couple of factors kept me from getting out there early in the day: I was very tired from a long, festive week (and very festive Friday), and my gym clothes were all wet from the laundry. But around noon, the temperature was in the mid-60s, and I just felt like a complete idiot not taking advantage of the nicest weather I'm likely to see for quite some time. The neighborhood was really alive, in the way it comes alive on that first warm spring day. Lots of people waving to me and saying hello -- a great spirit lifter. I didn't have a ton of time, but I did want to log some miles. Nothing specific in mind, just a good pace. 4.74 miles in 42.16 -- an 8:54 pace.

I know I post a lot of pics out over the water, but very few of them are in broad daylight. Here's the view across Keyport Harbor. It was a bit hazy, so I couldn't really see NYC.

Today was still warm, but rainy, so I hit the treadmill. I knew very early on that this was one of those "get it over with" workouts. Work Out World doesn't really adjust the HVAC enough on out-of-the-ordinary weather days, and it was just humid in there. I really don't do well in high humidity. I was pretty winded early on in the run, and by the end, my shirt was just soaked through. I'm a little worried about this, because you never know what April 27th could bring. I'm hoping for 60 degrees and clear, but what if it's one of those early summer days? I'll have to slow my pace considerably. I'm definitely interested in feedback on how you handle the humidity.

Nonetheless, I did 3.25 miles in 28:25, on the one percent incline. That's an 8:44 pace. But honestly, part of that was that I cranked it up just so I could get it done.

It'd be great to sneak one more run in tomorrow, since my next good bet is Friday, and then next Monday. I'd love to find time for a long, but I don't know if it's going to happen. In a perfect world, the odometer will hit 200 before 2014.

Total miles since starting the blog: 177.9.


No comments:

Post a Comment