Wednesday, November 6, 2013

November 6th: A Wednesday Long for a Long Wednesday

I'm a little achy today -- I went more than 12 miles this morning.

Today was my best chance this week to get a long run in. Tonight, I have to work past midnight covering the CMA Awards, and the weather is supposed to get colder Friday and over the weekend. But even so, it wasn't particularly warm when I started out. I improvised some gear -- an old sweatshirt over my long-sleeve running shirt, an old pair of gloves and an ear-warmer headband (which had the added benefit of holding my earbuds in). Oh, and the leash for Lily.

I've got a couple of minor injury annoyances going on. My inner thigh started to get sore around mile four again, though this time I ran through it. And I think I'm about to lose my first toenail -- middle toe on my left foot. Neither is a big deal.

I did about 8 miles with the dog before stopping home to drop her off and get a quick drink. I lost a minute in the transfer, but over the course of 2 hours, that really doesn't matter.

The thing I've realized about doing longs in your neighborhood, as opposed to a race, is that it's easier to keep going. I know that runs counter to conventional wisdom, but for me, it's easier to keep going when I know that I can quit if I need to. I just have keep telling myself, "OK, one more mile and you can stop." Or even, "OK, just get around that corner and you can stop." Because, inevitably, I get to that goal and realize that I still have more in the tank. I'd guess I give myself a half-dozen of those pep talks whenever I do a long run. Even at the end today, I was a block from home and decided to throw in another .3 miles, just because I knew I didn't have to and it would be no big deal to walk back home.

In the end, I did 12.35 in 1:57. Allowing for GPS inaccuracy, I'd say that'd put me at about a 2:08 half -- 7 minutes slower than Seaside Heights.

As I mentioned, I'm not feeling great about the weather prospects the rest of the week, so we'll see what happens. Maybe a trip to the gym on Friday, and I can sleep a bit on Saturday and wait till the temperature clears 40 before running.

Miles since starting the blog: 122.3.


No comments:

Post a Comment