Friday, November 1, 2013

November 1st: Hitting the Century on the Belt

I toldja yesterday that it was about to happen -- I’ve hit triple-digit miles since starting the blog.

Given the high winds and uncertainty about the rain, I decided that the treadmill would be my best bet today, so I headed down to WoW. I really wanted to get some miles in, so I broke one of my cardinal rules -- I didn’t do any core exercises. A couple minutes’ warm-up, and then it was time to run.

I generally put the treadmill at a 1 percent incline -- not because I believe that malarkey about it being the equivalent of wind resistance outdoors, but because it’s simply good training. As you’ll recall, yesterday wound up being a tempo run, and I’m looking to do a long, slow run tomorrow. So that left me with a pace run today. As you may also know, my big hope is to do the marathon in 4:00, so pace is 9:09 miles.

I had decided to do 5 miles, and I kept the pace around 6.5 mph, with a few intervals at 6.6 or 6.7, just to even out my pace at race pace. But I have to say I was really surprised at just how good my estimating skills were: 5 miles, 45:45. (Took a couple seconds to get the photo snapped -- cut me some slack.) That’s exactly 9:09 per, or exactly a 4:00 marathon pace.

Downside to today’s workout: WoW didn’t really adjust the climate control for the muggy conditions. It was extremely humid in there. I lost a ton of water weight (translation: I sweated my ass off). I guess I need to prepare for that, since there’s no guarantees that April 27th won’t be a hot, muggy day, too. But blech! Had to sit up in my seat driving home just because it was so gross.

As I mentioned, tomorrow I’m looking for the long run, maybe 8 miles or so. I’ll see how I feel.

Total miles since starting the blog: 102.8!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment